Search This Blog

Thursday 3 March 2016

"Life doesn't happen to you... it happens FOR you."

     I heard this quote by Jim Carrey in a video on Facebook just last night. It was a video of a bunch of things he has said, but this one really got my attention. I've been thinking about it pretty much all night.

     Sometimes I find myself guilty of thinking "Why has this happened to me?" or "What have I done to deserve this?" It's a mindset that promotes the idea that Life is out to get me. The reality of it, is that my life isn't trying to get back at me. Things come and go as life goes on, and it's up to whomever is living that life to either take those experiences that happen and do something with them, or forget about them.

     People like to label some experiences they regret as "mistakes"... but they're still an experience that you have now had. Whether it was in fact a mistake or not, I don't think it's right to forget about; It's something you chose to do. I don't think something can be a mistake if you didn't make the choice to do it. I think these experiences should be taken, remembered, and learned from.

     Now of course there are some experiences in life that some would rather not remember. These are usually the experiences that were not the choice of the life-user, but rather they tend to be the choices of others. Though these are harder to think about, I still think they are a part of a person's story. Every story has good and bad parts to it. In the end, it's the journey that matters. Nobody would have a story without a journey. We're here to work through our journey so that in the end, we have a story to tell about how we got there. After all... isn't that what history is all about?

~ Kyle 

No comments:

Post a Comment