Search This Blog

Thursday 18 October 2018

=== Age of Wonders -- MolzyMoz - Fire Rebalanced -- Mod Review - 5/5 ===

Okay so here's something a little bit different today. Normally I review games or food or movies... but today I'm reviewing a MOD for a game. I'm also going to take this opportunity to start using a 1-5 rating system because I think it's a much more straightforward system for just how good I think something is which I'm reviewing.

So FROM HERE ON OUT I will be rating everything on a scale of 1-5.

Rating: 5

Even though I am a long-time Age of Wonders player, using mods is something I'm not super experienced with, so this managed to be my first mod to EVER use for this game. I have to say I'm very pleased; I honestly think this may be what I start using in my own games from now on.

There are quite a few changes to units, some of which are in their stats and many of which are in their abilities as they increase in skill; especially for making level 4 units more powerful and unstoppable just by having empty fortified cities. I haven't been able to experience much of this as I just started using the mod and have only read about the majority of the changes so far.

One of my favourite changes includes the change to the Goblin Bomber at silver level gaining a Call Flames ability (which would only be attainable using an arena or the Warmonger spell).

Speaking of SPELLS... Many of the lower level combat spells have been lowered in casting cost which makes spell-based leader and hero builds possible to use throughout the game. Many of the spells such as flame arrow only have a cost of 1 now which means your hero can be useful even with Spell Casting I and low stats.

So all in all, this mod is pretty sweet. It's super easy to put into the game and doesn't make a huge number of overwhelming changes; if you have any thoughts about using any other mods in the game but are unsure after reading all of the HUGE number of changes... this is truly a great place to start when getting into trying out different mods.

As a result, I'm giving this mod for Age of Wonders a 5/5 rating as I really do think it has been done very well and has broken down the door for me to try other new things with an already great game.

No comments:

Post a Comment