Search This Blog

Friday 5 October 2018

The Honeymoon Adventure - Day One

Let us begin our new journey with a telling of our honeymoon adventure.

After driving home the night of the wedding and sleeping in our own comfy bed for one final time before going away on our trip, we got up nice and early and finished packing so we could head on our way to the wondrous land of Calgary, Alberta. So began our drive away from our home in a direction we had never travelled before, what a fantastic time this wou--wait... forgot my wallet... Okay! And off we go again!

So we ended up leaving a little bit later than we had previously planned because we chose to be lazy and not finish packing until the day of the trip... and I forgot my wallet which was needed for ID and whatnot SO WE COULD ACTUALLY CHECK INTO THE HOTEL. It wasn't such a big deal, we still made it with plenty of time to spare before the end of the day and I really enjoyed seeing all the new sights I hadn't seen before on the drive. Carley was wonderful and drove up until Medicine Hat where we picked up a little bit of groceries to eat at the hotel; I drove the rest of the way.

I didn't realize it at the time, but driving through Medicine Hat on the way to Calgary is actually driving through three different little cities that are right next to one another, how cool is that? I can't even begin to describe the sights on the way. Around here I'm used to seeing fields upon fields of farming space and not much else. Once we got into Alberta though... it became fields upon fields of grazing land for HUGE flocks of cows. Also there were lots of trees and hills and... ugh... my words just don't do this justice.

If I could take good pictures and drive at the same time, that would be super helpful in this instance, BUT that's illegal and dangerous... and the pictures wouldn't turn out great anyways. So I guess you'll just have to take my word for it that the sights are much different than around Saskatchewan and if you get the chance, you should totally go on a trip to see for yourself. I should also mention how awesome the Alberta highways are compared to ours; the roads seem to be in better condition than in Saskatchewan and every few kilometers there are spots to pull over and dump your garbage, recycling, and sometimes even compost in bins on the side of the road with actual road space to pull over safely... kind of like when race car drivers go off the track into the little sidelane thinger to get their tires changed and whatnot.

The drive wasn't the only amazing thing though; as awed as I was by Medicine Hat with the two cities on either side which were all connected... the size of Calgary compared to the cities here is insane. Once we hit Calgary, it was still another half hour drive for like 25 km THROUGH THE CITY! Let me tell you, Carley didn't drive anywhere the entire time we were there because the amount of traffic and the size of the city was a little bit scary compared to what we're used to around here. I didn't mind the driving though because it was always an adventure to every place we went during our trip... but those are more stories for next time.

Stay tuned for more stories of our honeymoon adventure! ^_^


~ Kyle Welykholowa

Back to Honeymoon Adventure

1 comment: