Search This Blog

Monday 15 October 2018

=== Food Review - Moose McGuire's (Calgary) - Sports Pub -- 8/10 ===

This was our first food stop of our adventure in Calgary on our honeymoon. It was a late night visit to a sports pub which wasn't too busy at the time... In fact that were maybe three other tables currently in use. Of course that isn't an indication of the quality of the place; late night on a Sunday right before the labour day football game... the heavy business was probably due for the following night.

The service upon entering was prompt as a result of the small number of other people around. So I definitely have no complaints about that because I love having prompt and efficient service! I assume most people would prefer quick and efficient service when visiting an eating establishment. Our server was very friendly and super helpful when it came to providing suggestions for Carley's drinks.


I ordered myself a tray of lemon pepper the buffalo wings. Some wings you order our absolutely drenched and sauce and soggy when you bite into them which can make you question whether or not they're actually finished cooking, but these ones were nice and crisp and crunchy between my teeth. The flavor it was absolutely fantastic with a nice lemon kick. In fact they were so good that I totally forgot about how awful buffalo wings are when you reheat them in a microwave. If you're looking for a good set of wings to eat, these are a good way to go.


I often like ordering a caesar salad to start my meals; this one was.... blah. It certainly wasn't awful and inedible, but I honestly thought I could get the same thing when ordering a takeout pizza from a pizza place. It was a good enough salad, but I wasn't terribly pleased with it considering what I was expecting. I could brush it off as it was only a sports pub, but I have experienced a higher quality of food at other sports pubs and brew houses.


For Carley, she ordered a double cheese & bacon burger with sweet potato fries. I didn't see any issues with her food and she definitely had no complaints about it (and she's pickier than I am when it comes to her food). This seemed like a great comfort food for the type of person who would like a good burger to eat during their stay.

For some reason I didn't take any pictures of her drinks and I really don't remember what it was she got, but the service for getting the drinks was pretty great. Our server was quite helpful for recommending drinks when Carley didn't know quite what it was she wanted and they were very accommodating right up to making a special drink just for her which wasn't on the menu.

Verdict

Lemon Pepper Wings: Great for eating in the restaurant; not great for leftovers. Nice and crunchy. 8/10

Caesar Salad: Nothing special which couldn't be ordered for delivery from a pizza place. 5/10 

Double Cheese & Bacon Burger: No complaints from the wife about her food. 8/10

Service: I was pleased with how much attention we got and super please with the server being able to give us recommendations and even getting the bartender to make some special drinks which weren't in the menu. 10/10

Overall, I would say our experience there was excellent! I'm giving Moose McGuire's 8/10; even though the caesar salad didn't excite me, the rest of the food was the good comfort food we were looking for and the service was stellar. After a long drive, we just wanted somewhere quiet to sit down and enjoy some nice food; This was exactly what we received during our visit.

~ Kyle Welykholowa

Back to Honeymoon Adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment