Search This Blog

Sunday 26 May 2019

The Honeymoon Adventure - Day Two - Calgary Zoo Four

Well with our upcoming adventure to Winnipeg, I figure I should get a move on with posting the rest of our honeymoon adventure. So let us continue with the next leg of the Calgary Zoo: The Dorothy Harvie Gardens.

This part may have been my favourite of all; as much as I enjoy being inside... if I'm going to be outside, it may as well be in a warm environment with lots of pretty things to look at. Now this area was quite big on large areas of growing plants and things... in retrospect, perhaps I should have taken a picture of some of the beautiful areas and arrangements of flowers and plants and things; though to be fair, it was kinda raining and/or dreary at the time. If any of you live in an area where your city grows arrangements of pretty flowers and things, then you can just imagine that, only in the middle of a Zoo.

(As a side note: if you grow your own personal arrangements of pretty flowers and garden things, I would love to see your handiwork as I've been trying for years to grow even a single flower within my house and it never seems to work out.)

Within the Dorothy Harvie Gardens area there is a building which has some neat information on scientifical such as photosynthesis and how butterflies keep themselves warm using sunlight similar to how a solar panel works. Probably even cooler than that, is that there's a huge room inside the building which is kept at tropical temperatures so that they can grow real live plants of all sorts from different places as well as keep butterflies in there.

Let me share some of what I saw:


I could have taken so many more pictures of the plants, but with there being so many plants it would have been an almost endless stream of greenery that nobody would really be able to appreciate without actually being there. As you can see, I did manage to get some neat pictures of some of the giant butterflies that were there. Of course, it can be rather difficult to get a good idea of just how big some of these flying bugs can be; so here's a video to give you a much better visual of how huge these things are.


Isn't that insane? It definitely blew my mind. There are tons of these things flying around this greenhouse-type building. They also have a space for incubating butterfly cocoons as well where you can see through the glass rows and rows of hanging cocoons, all at different points of growth from beginning up to hatching. Of course... again... I didn't think to take pictures BUT IT'S REEEEALLY COOL YOU SHOULD GO SEE IT!

If you're at all a fan of animals, then you really should go to a zoo and check it out. Maybe some people would think it's cruel to lock up animals, but seriously... how would we get a chance to see this stuff and learn about them and appreciate them if we as regular people never have a chance to really see them in person?

Stay tuned for next time when I tell you about the Eurasia section.


~ Kyle Welykholowa

No comments:

Post a Comment